Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Cumin Beans & Rice


I don't really have anything exciting to say about this recipe. I don't know how I could really cut costs either (except to use dry beans, but that's too much work for me). But stay tuned for tomorrow nights dinner... find out why I always make a double batch of this!

Ingredients:
1 onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tb olive oil (I used oil spray)
2 tb cumin powder
1 1/2 cups white rice (you could use brown; increase cooking time)
1 can (~15 oz.) beans- kidney, black, navy, garbanzo, etc
2 tb chopped fresh cilantro
1 3/4 cup vegetable broth
Directions:
Saute onion and garlic in oil (or spray) until translucent. Add the cumin seeds, cook on medium-high heat for one more minute. Add the rice, cook another minute. Add the vegetable broth, and bring to a boil. Turn down heat, cover, and simmer until rice is cooked (about 15 minutes for white rice, 45 minutes for brown). After the rice mixture is cooked, add the beans. Cover and cook for 5 more minutes on low heat. Add the chopped cilantro, and serve!

Serves: 4
Preparation time: 30 minutes

2 comments:

Candace said...

Did you serve a side with this, or just the beans and rice?

April said...

Ah, side dishes. I am ashamed to admit that I don't often do them. I am very lazy when it comes to cooking, even steaming a vegetable makes one more dish that I don't want to clean. I'm trying to do better, but I figure since we don't eat a whole lot of meat that we are getting our fair share of veggies so I don't stress about it too much.