Monday, April 7, 2008

Shopping

Once a week I do "big" grocery shopping. Today was the day. Our meals for this week will be:

Cumin Beans and Rice
Cranberry Veggie Rollups
Mushroom Barley Soup
Blackened Salmon
Caramelized Onion and Spinach Pasta
Pizza

I usually plan for 5 or 6 meals; the other one or two nights are either takeout or leftovers. Since my goal is to cut our food budget, I'm going to plan for 6 nights and stick with leftovers rather than takeout. I will post recipes later in the week.

My grocery total came to $53.51. I thought it was going to be more. I was hungry when I was shopping, so I got several items that weren't on the list. These included: Swedish Fish, stuff to make rice krispy treats, Goldfish crackers, and a box of crackers w/cheese... $10.36 worth of junk. That's okay, I usually always get some sort of crackers for Addie, the rice krispy stuff will last a long time (I got the giant bag-o-cereal), and the Swedish Fish? well... okay, that was a bad choice.

Some thoughts about my shopping this week:
- I didn't have to buy any meat. We really only eat fish and chicken, and we usually only eat it once or twice a week. I buy a bulk freezer pack that lasts us awhile so I still have a little bit of Salmon and chicken in the freezer. I will need to buy more meat next week, so I'll have to take that into consideration.
- I bought a few bulk items that I won't have to buy for awhile: flour, sugar, eggs. Eggs sure have gotten expensive recently, is it like that everywhere or just here?

*******Last Week*******
I also wanted to throw in a little note about last weeks shopping. I'm not officially counting it since I don't have the receipt anymore, but I just wanted to document it. I spent a little over $60. I went to a more expensive store that I usually don't shop at. I stocked up on fruit, we have enough apples for at least a week and a half. I splurged on expensive apples and some asparagus. But I didn't have to buy meat, so that helped me stay around $60.

No comments: