Monday, April 7, 2008

Making Bread

Doesn't this look yummy? I have found the perfect bread recipe. It takes practically no time or effort to make!

Pretty much every bread has some sort of soy or dairy in it. The only bread I have found that I can eat is $4.00 a loaf (a small loaf) at Whole Foods. I really like bread so I have been trying my hand at making it myself. I really enjoy making bread - somehow it just tastes better when you have made it yourself. Plus, it makes your house smell really yummy! But I don't like all the time that it involves. Mix the dough, kneed the dough, let it rise, kneed it again, rise some more, then finally bake it. I thought about buying a bread machine, but hear from so many people that they never actually use theirs. Since this whole thing is about saving money I decided against it.

This is my new "everyday bread." I tried to calculate the price per loaf today while I was at the store. A bag of sugar is less than $2, a bag of flour is less than $2. I can probably get at least 10 loaves out of each bag of flour and even more out of a bag of sugar. The yeast is probably the most expensive item at $3 a jar, but I get at least 10 loaves out of each jar. So each loaf of bread is well under $1.

Some changes I made to this recipe --
- I used 1/2 whole wheat flour and 1/2 white flour to make the bread a little lighter.
- I only cooked it for 30 minutes instead of 45.

1 comment:

Rammells said...

I'm trying to new recipe tomorrow. We'll see if mine turns out as yummy as yours??!?