Sunday, April 20, 2008

Curried Chickpeas


Tonight's dinner was a hit, at least in my mind. We had Curried Chickpeas. Sean doesn't like cauliflower, so I think I will modify it a bit next time that I make it. I think I'll substitute potatoes and then use pureed cauliflower to keep the veggies (ssshhhh... don't tell Sean!). Why did I like this so much? #1 - it was tasty. #2 - Addie ate all of it! She even picked up the cauliflower and said "trees" and popped it in her mouth. "Trees" is what she calls broccoli and she won't touch it, so I was very surprised that she labeled this as "trees" and still gave it a shot.

I usually make my most labor intensive meal on Sunday nights, that way Sean is here to watch the girls for me. The recipe looks kinda involved (for my style of cooking), so I chose to make it tonight. I really should have saved it for a different night, it wasn't hard to make at all. I used frozen cauliflower rather than fresh to save time chopping. I also left out the ginger because I don't care for it.

Ingredients:
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 small onion, chopped
3 cloves of garlic, crushed/minced
1/2 cup water
1 tablespoon fresh ginger root, minced
1 tablespoon cumin
1 tablespoon coriander
2 teaspoons turmeric
1 teaspoon chili powder
1 bay leaf
19 oz. can of chick peas, drained and rinsed
28 oz. can of whole tomatoes, chopped
head of cauliflower, chopped and steamed until tender
1/2 cup light coconut milk
salt and pepper to taste

Directions:
1. Saute onion until translucent in oil in a large saute pan.
2. Add garlic, ginger, and tomato and cook for 2-3 minutes.
3. Add water, spices, and bay leaf to the pan and mix well.
4. Add chick peas to pan. Bring it to a boil, then lower the heat and simmer for about 10 minutes.
5. Remove the bay leaf.
6. Add the cauliflower and light coconut milk and mix thoroughly.
7. Taste the chick peas and add salt and pepper to taste.
8. Serve over brown rice.

No comments: